Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Time to bury some of your third-party apps with Leopard [UPDATE]

I mentioned in one of my posts that some reviews have the Spotlight so improved that it no longer does file or folder searches, it doubles as an application launcher and calculator. I was curious about the application launcher bit because I am using Quicksilver as my app launcher. An application launcher, by the way, is a program that lets you launch apps by evoking the app with a key combo and type out the name of the app and pressing enter to launch it. As far as I know, most Windows users are even unaware that you can do such a thing. Spotlight in Tiger already had this capability but, darn it, Spotlight was really slow and the application launcher bit was one key press too many.

With Leopard, I've Spotlight has vastly improved. So improved, that Dan Frakes of Macworld says Spotlight 2.0 has the potential to replace application launchers like Quicksilver and Launchbar. Though these application launchers do more than launching software, like run scripts and control iTunes, Spotlight may just replace these third-party software in launching applications. I guess it's bye-bye Quicksilver for me.

Dan Frakes cites some more examples of third-party applications that Leopard may partially or fully replace.

Update:
Part two of the Leopard's Gem replacements is up.

No comments: