Friday, January 23, 2009

Pirated iWork '09 contains trojan; fix released

Soon after Apple released iWork '09 during Macworld San Francisco 09, copies of the updated office suite for the Mac started appearing in torrent and warez sites.

Now comes the bad news and not-so-good news.

Bad news: these copies of iWork '09 come with a trojan as reported by a security firm.

Not-so-good news: another security firm has released a free fix for the trojan.

Why did I say that the release of the removal tool is not-so-good news? That's because this provides a solution for people who opted to steal rather than buy the software.

I've pirated software in the past. I still do but not as much as before. I made a firm decision when I switched to the Mac that I was going to lessen my pirating ways, and hopefully, real soon, stop it altogether. I have my reasons which I will talk about soon.

In the meantime, please do not pirate. Almost every commercial application out there has an alternative that is free. May not be as snazzy as the paid app is but it does the job.

If you don't know where to get these free software, you can always ask other users.

No comments: